Sunday 13 January 2013

Put the Blame on Anne, Boys, Put the Blame on Anne..



I have never been one for clothes made in animal print. UK readers will know of one of the longest running soap operas here - Coronation Street - and it used to have a character called Bet Lynch: big, bold, brassy, busty, peroxide hair piled on top of her head - she smoked and drank and spoke her mind, and yes, she wore animal prints. I don't watch, nor ever have, Coronation Street but everybody knows about Bet. This is what I associate with animal print - trash! There, I've said it!


Neither Dior, Burberry, Armani or Gucci or any other design house has managed to rid me of the horror of Bet.

Then, sweet and darling Anne at Prttynpnk starts a sort of sew-along thing and the theme is animal print! I like to please Anne, cause she's scary when she's annoyed so I tried my best. Here's my contribution to Jungle January 2013.

Way back in July last year, Anne unexpectedly gifted a genuine vintage Vogue pattern to me.

One piece dress. Slim skirt joins the bloused bodice at the waist-line. Left side front buttoned closing above released pleat. Oval neckline, below elbow or short kimono sleeves. Self tied or novelty belt.

Unfortunately a size 14 then is NOT a size 14 today - the pattern needed grading, 2" on the bust and 4" on the hips in order to fit little ol' me.  I put SWAP aside and brought out the tissue paper and got to work. I've been reading about the slash and spread method for enlarging patterns, but THIS IS VOGUE - you can't do that to a genuine vintage vogue - so I diligently set to work measuring and drawing and adding and folding, so that the original tissue is intact.

The instructions for the pattern are exquisite - lots of drawings and arrows - but this was not an easy make. Five bound buttonholes to hold the dress closed, darts in the back sleeves (lovely little detail), it's not a wrap but a pleated front, and of course, I made it even more difficult by lining it and adding pockets in the side seams. The facings have to be slashed after sewing in place to release the button holes - a really scary moment when everything you've sewn so far could be trashed.




Anyway, the dress is finished. I had to lighten the pics to show a bit of detail but our weather is so gloomy right now that even photos shot outside are dim.


 I love the wide neckline, the darts in the sleeves make for a shaped sleeve that bends easily with the natural lie of the arm, I like my pockets and the 5 buttons are surprisingly secure.


 The Fabric is a wool and poly mix from local store and sewed up a treat and creased excellently under steam but doesn't wrinkle when wearing. It's a dark grey with a fine pinstripe - very business like. I made another button belt to complete the dress.

But where are the animals, you cry?

Well, I wore my new shoes......(Clarkes 50% off) Does that count? No.....









I made a tie belt (scarf) and hankie for the vent pocket from satin leopard print. Does that count? Getting closer......








 Let's look inside....









Animal print used, sewn and worn. I contributed to Jungle January and my style integrity is intact. Everyone is happy and Anne won't be round to our house for a fight!

Go check out the more adventurous sewers than I on Anne's blog to see what wonderful and scary creations they are making - inspirational!










To add to your reading pleasure click here to watch and hear Rita singing - now that's a girl who could wear animal prints!

48 comments:

  1. You are amazing! You totally got the point of making animal your own- I love this so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quick! Show your DH - it's his mother's pattern.

      Delete
  2. Oh that is a beautiful dress and looks wonderful on you - btw - you have a double in Russia - saw it on the Russian BurdaStyle site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even DH (who hates 1950/60 fashion) has admired the dress. Thanks Pauline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUPER, SUPER, SUPER!!!! You are one clever 'out-of-the-box' classy lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta hide the 'cleverness' - makes other people wonder......

      Delete
  5. this is a wonderful dress and I love your hidden secret lining

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the secret? Knowing what's underneath while looking so respectable.

      Delete
  6. Just gorgeous, you look so elegant in it! Love the buttons and the lining and the lovely wide collar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzy - see, all those pretty prints you use on your trouser waistbands led to to this!

      Delete
  7. Love your interpretation of the pattern ~ but I especially love the surprise inside! Even your accessories are perfect - this is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn - praise indeed.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic as always. I do love a little wild side flash on the inside so you can be demure on the out and the wild girl in private! Your dress is terrific and I think you've done amazingly well to learn to grade patterns up to fit you. It's definitely a skill we all could use. Fitting is the most difficult part of sewing IMO, and you're getting it down perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time grading Lynda - probably not the correct way or the most scientific, but it worked (sort of).

      Delete
  9. Sharp dress, love it! Nice innards too. I had no idea Clarkes made such fun shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at Clarke's too - even better at half price.

      Delete
  10. Very clever but I do like the animal print accents.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a very chic dress. I'm sure I had one similar in the 60s with a button down the side-front and roll collar. Love the lining. It's a fabulous piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the pattern is from the 60s Gwen, so that would fit with your dress.

      Delete
  12. There's some bad girl in there somewhere ;-) you just hide it in the lining!! Great dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not me I'm sweet and nice all the time LOL

      Delete
  13. Fabulous Dahling! - to be said in a Patsy voice (from Absolutely Fabulous - now she is the type of person who could wear animal print!)

    Your dress is so classy, and so much fun. I bet every-time you wear it or think about it you have a little snigger to yourself! And I love your shoes - very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do indeed have a little giggle. Thanks twotoast

      Delete
  14. Love the dress and the lining. So luxe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth - the lining makes all the difference to the dress, the way it sits and fits too.

      Delete
  15. Tehe, so clever! Agree that animal print can be a little bit... trashy... so I'm upping the trash in my make by using PINK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like minds Juliet - we should either embrace it completely or hide it. Pink huh? Not trashy at all

      Delete
  16. Very clever and goegeously tasteful too. Poor leopard has gone to a higher cause- your smashing vintage dress!

    ReplyDelete
  17. AlaskapsychJanuary 14, 2013

    Pretty pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alaska, shame I don't have a 1960 figure

      Delete
  18. Lovely dress! You look great in it. And the lining is a marvelous surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely dress! You look great in it. And the lining is a marvelous surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to think that every garment should have a little surprise hidden somewhere. Thanks Leigh Ann

      Delete
  20. What a fabulously attractive and very wearable dress, Ruth! I just love all the details that the designers used to include. I'm not a particular fan of animal prints either (don't hate me, Anne!) but that's a great way to utilize it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little touches like the vent pocket and the darted sleeves are almost couture. There was quite a bit of hand sewing involved in this. Thanks Louisa.

      Delete
  21. What a fantastic post: I loved the surprise ending!! And such cute shoes I'm jealous as a snake...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go to Clarkes Online - still on sale! I know you'd look good in these

      Delete
  22. I am so laughing - you are such a good sport! and love those shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Animal print on the inside, very amusing. The outfit looks terrific. What a great twist on Ann's Jungle January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to turn Anne's Jungle January inside out, otherwise I would n't have been there at all!

      Delete
  24. Won
    t the dry cleaners love to get their hands on your creation! In these days of RTW with crappy or no linings and poorly made machine buttonholes...your dress is a one-of-a-kind delight! Hand sewing, an investment only you know the value and the elegance inside. Grading up 2-4 inches is no easy feat either but it all hangs great and using a stripe really tests the brain and eye...Thumbs up, Girl!!!!! Those shoes...to die for and at half price, a gift from the gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet I learned some lessons from you! Like a sale purchase one size too small or too large! I'm already pitying you after the January sales....

      Delete
  25. What a fabulous ending! LOL! And I am going to copy your scarf-under-the-collar idea, you look fab!

    ReplyDelete