She's done and as predicted by my choice of sewing - it rained, and the wind blew and it was cold. So much for a summer dress!
First I put on an old Mac of DH but it hid too much of the dress.
Then I brought the brolly out.
During construction I lengthened the sleeves to elbow length instead of the tiny cap sleeves in the pattern. This meant cutting and fitting longer underarm gussets too - definitely the hardest thing in making this dress.
Then I abandoned the brolly because the wind blew it about and I was freezing and the pictures were blurry, so we moved indoors like sensible people. By sheer happenstance all the colours are at the front of the dress - the back is positively plain by comparison. but there there exists a certain symmetry on each side: the flower at left shoulder is the same at the left hemline.
The underarm gussets are no where near perfect but a lot better than first time around. I eventually managed to get most of the wrinkles out of the gusset insertion points but they aren't points. If I make this again I think I might just resort to putting regular sleeves in. I ended up taking my own advice here
The bodice has a pleated mock wrap effect that is surprisingly secure and comfortable with no gapping at all. The pattern called for a grosgrain waist stay inside the dress (that's the vintage touch) but my middle aged tummy likes comfort so I opted for elastic and it works just as well.
There's a lapped side zip and matching pull through belt and I don't think it needs a flouncy petticoat, my hips do the job very well instead.
Now - sunshine please!
Thanks for reading. Ruth