Sunday 22 January 2012

Vintage a la mode

This was not a suit of two halves:
Vintage Vogue 2476 - original from 1949
now OOP


Jacket

  • Muslin mock-up
  • 18 pattern pieces (cut twice)
  • 10 weeks of (intermittent) hard labour
  • 2.5 m fabric
  • 2.5 m organza
  • 2m lining
  • 1.5m canvas interfacing
  • 3m cotton tape
  • 1m twill tape
  • 600m navy thread
  • 300m tacking (basting) thread
  • 4 steel buttons 
  • 3 hand sewing needles
  • wax
  • 6 pints water (steam pressing)
  • Bleeding fingers
  • Frustration - Ennui - Perseverance
Skirt
  • 1.7m fabric
  • 1.7m lining
  • 4 pattern pieces (cut twice)
  • 200m navy thread
  • 1 zip
  • Length of interfacing
  • 2.5 m twill tape
  • 3 hours - cutting out, sewing, trying on and pressing
Notice the difference?
The pattern says advanced and most definitely this applies to the jacket, but the skirt is tres facile!



The jacket as was last seen but with shoulder pads and sleeve heads attached.














Say goodbye to all that hard work and say hello to 

vintage a la mode......







 The lining of the skirt can just be seen here as I straighten the seam on my 1940s stockings - it matches the jacket.


But look, I can move in this fitted jacket! I can bend and stretch and sit without too many puckers or wrinkles.

It is a jacket that buttons high up so no blouse is required underneath, just a lovely 1940 style silk camisole (if I had one).















And the shoes.... These are almost as old as the pattern that I've forgotten where they came from. I call them my "cartoon shoes" 'cause they remind me of a female cartoon character's footwear. Anyway, they're navy, so match the suit and I noticed the other day in a movie that two-tone court shoes were popular in the 1940-50s - so quite in keeping with the era, I think.

Oh, there are wrinkles on the sides of the jacket where there shouldn't be, I machined the skirt hem instead of slip stitching, the points on the lapels are not sharp (in fact they don't resemble the pattern at all), my bound button holes do not deserve a close up, etc, etc, etc.... but boy! do I feel a million dollars in this suit. It is comfortable, smart and most importantly - FINISHED.


Problem is - what do I do now?

Thanks for reading. Ruth




  

13 comments:

  1. I am thoroughly impressed with the workmanship and beauty of your suit. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - impressive you must be absolutely delighted and it looks beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look like a million dollars! I loved how detailed and wonderful this is and oh, those shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you do now? Well, an easy knit tee. In the meantime, go out shopping and do lunch in that suit, or go to dinner in town. Wow, it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've finally made up such a beautiful suit with tailoring! You look great, happy and confident in the suit :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for such lovely comments, I will be wearing this suit a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is perfect Ruth, and you look awesome. I love this pattern amd I love the flared skirt. Best,

    Paco

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful classic suit. Your hard work paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! Fantastic! I love that jacket! I can't remember if I have that pattern in my collection or not, but if I don't, I want it now. You did a great job, Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth, I just found your blog. What a pleasure to see that pattern made up! Fantastic work :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl................ you have it going on. Do you teach tailoring techniques? I need a refresher course. Somewhere along the way we lost tailoring, LOL. Are you participating in the 1912 Project? If not, if you are interested I can pass the info on to you. LOVE your work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Outstanding! You did a superb job. Love, love the shoes.

    ReplyDelete