Saturday 18 February 2012

Fairy Tales

Opting for easy, quick and casual garments at the moment the next thing on the agenda was a skirt. Once again, picking up a Paco pattern - the simplicity yet great design - I choose the half-circle skirt. Two pieces! Front and back (same piece) and a waistband. Cut on the bias this skirt has excellent drape and is designed for fluid, drapey knits such as jersey. But alas, no fluid, drapey jersey in the stash but a slightly weird Little Red Riding Hood cotton print. There's the girl herself and a wolf (of course) and a rabbit holding up a sign that points the way to "Granny's" all on a pale grey/taupe background. I can't decide if the rabbit is a goody or a baddy.



As an experiment I wanted to test the pattern with a cotton: thinking of summer and picnics on the lawn, sitting on a red gingham blanket with a wicker basket full of food, while the children played happily in the sunshine, laughing and giggling and running barefoot through the daisies; the flower beds in full and glorious colour bloom; butterflies flitting between the sun beams; birds singing sweetly in the boughs above our heads, the bright, fresh green leaves of the old oak tree providing dappled shade - oh wait..... I was in a fairytale there for a minute.


While the cotton certainly does not have the drape of a jersey, it didn't turn out too badly. Quilters beware! I may have to do this again in some of your wonderful fabrics!


Shorter version, without underskirt
With underskirt and twirling


 I cut the shorter length - limited by width yet again - but had fabric left over. Instead of lining the skirt I made an underskirt with a panel of Red Riding Hoods around the hem. This underskirt is separate, acts like a lining and the extra hemline panel adds extra length to the skirt too. One skirt, two lengths!


The underskirt has the effect of tulle as well, so the skirt sits slightly away from the body.




There's no doubt that a swirly full skirt makes you feel more feminine and girly. I've obviously been reading too much of We Sew Retro lately. Look, I even got out the baking book - appropriately named How to be a Domestic Goddess, by Nigella Lawson.


Cupcakes with pink icing, gooey chocolate cake, adoring smiles from my loving family, the smells of home baking wafting though our happy and contented home - whoops, fairytale land again!




I did empty the dishwasher though.



Thanks for reading. Ruth

13 comments:

  1. Love it! Fantasy and fairy tales help keep life interesting. And chocolate cake just adds that extra bit of special!
    I may have to invest in some Paco Peralta patterns myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't eat too much cake or I won't be able to get into the skirt. See Paco's comment below, now's the time!

      Delete
  2. :-) Its a very cute skirt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, you are very creative. Thank you very much Ruth. I'm happy, so, today I'll make a special price for this pattern in my ETSY page !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely and you look charming in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the bunny is out to do you a mischief and make off with your fabulous skirt- I know I am tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ruth! Lovely skirt! But how cool is the book "how to be a domestic godess"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try, I really do, but it just doesn't happen. I need a magic wand!

      Delete
  7. I love this skirt on you and admire your creativity with the underskirt. I will copy you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog through Pattern Review and so glad I did! This is a great idea for a skirt! I think I have something in my stash to try it out on. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome - this is what the blog is all about. Thanks

      Delete