Wednesday 9 November 2011

The most difficult top in world?

V1259
OK so I tried it!

Just look at that waist!
The most difficult top in the world to make and I made it. I think the best I can say is that it's made! It's not well made, but it's made. I have worn it in public and it was actually admired many times. I suppose if people just see the garment and don't actually know what it's suppose to look like - it looks alright to them.

I couldn't have done this without the online help from Tany, Melissa and Blanche.


Thanks ladies.



As you can see I didn't quite follow the pattern. I don't do sleeveless - so despite the complexity of the pattern pieces I extended the short sleeves into full length ones.


To the left is the error at the front; I didn't quite sew that huge front piece 1 exactly to the shoulder seam and then trimmed too close. In real life the fabric is a very deep navy and so it is quite difficult to see the flaw with the naked eye.


However, on the right is the near perfect gathering over the hip.




All the advice from these wonderful bloggers was that the top was not as form fitting as the pattern envelope implied, so I cut a size smaller that normal. I need a shoehorn to get the top on but once on the fit is (almost) exactly like the photo that Vogue use. However, I don't look anything like their model! I did put my hair up so I that I sort of looked like her - LOL

I won't be making the skirt - my hips just wouldn't stand for it.

I made the top out of the same fabric as my first Paco skirt - navy silky 4 way stretch jersey. I like the contrast between the gathering and shirring on the top and the apparent simplicity and smoothness of the skirt.

I may even try this pattern a second time knowing now what the pitfalls are. It may be while before I do as I have lots of other sewing projects I want to complete but stay tuned.


2 comments:

  1. Great top! I'm SO impressed you were able to put long sleeves on this! Even after making this I'm not sure where I'd even start... I'm so glad you found my instructions helpful, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa. You have been a rock in trying times with this top. Ruth

    ReplyDelete