Saturday 5 November 2011

Saturday Sewing

In between selling my son's Lego stash on Gumtree and buying messages (Irish for groceries) I managed to sew and finish a really easy Vogue top: V8616.
I only buy Vogue patterns when they have their $4.95 sale on. Living in Northern Ireland I have to pay $19 postage so I usually buy 6 or 7 at a time to make it worth my while. It's still loads cheaper that buying them here where they retail at £15 each! I've had this one in the pattern basket for a while so was really pleased to find a sweater knit that was extra cheap to try it out on. Once again, living in Northern Ireland I have to pay exorbitant prices for postage (or to the tax-man) for USA stuff, so was happy to find a German company (inside EU, so no taxes) that offer millions of fabrics and deliver within a few days - My Fabric.




Sometimes it is nice to do something easy and quick - it boosts confidence, sense of achievement and you get another item for the wardrobe!

This pattern had three pieces - front, back and sleeves - perfect for a busy day. I didn't put the zipper in the back as my fabric was really quite stretchy, so this saved some time too. I just tailor tacked the essential bits and got the machine threaded up.



I decided to add interfacing to the seams in the neck and collar - simply because of the stretch and thought that over time the stand-up collar would become a fold-over collar instead.

Within a few hours the top was done! Here it is displayed on Doris.

 While being super easy to sew, it also has some nice little touches, like the splits at the sides and the collar itself. This would be a great pattern for a beginner too - instant results.


 This is me in the jumper standing in front of my son's now empty toy cupboard. Sorry, no make-up or 'staging' of the photo shoot - it is Saturday after all.



Have a great weekend and thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. ah, this pattern was a disaster on me. The top has gone on to a new home. Yours looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Pattern Review speak - it doesn't look like the envelop picture, but then again, I don't look like the models either. It's not the most flattering thing I've made, but it's comfy and I learned a little bit about sewing with sweater knits.

    ReplyDelete